Calling a function in an interpolated string

Why can’t I call a function in an interpolated string? For example,

let stringFunction = (input : string) => {j|$(input) is a string"|j};
let testString = {j|This is a test string calling a function $(stringFunction)|j};

This is fine because it just logs “function”. But if I try this

let testString = {j|This is a test string calling a function $(stringFunction("test"))|j};

Will trigger an Error: `stringFunction(’ is not a valid syntax of interpolated identifer.

Piping the argument causes the same problem. Why is this?

Because the syntax of the Reason interpolated string is not the same as that of the JS interpolated string?

I think if you do want the flexibility of JS string templates, you can wrap an actual string template in a %raw directive, like this: https://github.com/persianturtle/reason-app-shell-starter-kit/blob/master/src/Index.re#L7

Or you might use the good old string concatenation:

let testString = "This is a test string calling a function " ++ stringFunction("test");

I think string templates are most valuable when they are actually used as templates, for css-in-js and suchlike, when there’s a lot of string, a few parameters and probably some custom processing. For simple cases, interpolation is sometimes slightly more readable than concatenation, and sometimes slightly less.

BuckleScript’s interpolation supports only variables, not arbitrary expressions (like functions).

Do either of you know if it’s a fundamental reason or just a characteristic of the implementation. I ask because it seems like it should just the evaluation of a block.

The interpolation happens at compile time so it can’t evaluate arbitrary expressions.

So if we want anything complicated, like CSS-in-JS or GQL queries, it has to be done via PPX?

Not sure I understand, there are currently Reason PPXs that do both of these (i.e. they do some specific jobs).

I mean, in JS, writing custom tags for tagged templates is relatively simple: a tag is just a function that receives n values (interpolations) and n+1 strings. In Reason, to write a PPX, you have to know about OCaml ASTs, which looks way scarier (not that I tried).

Then again, there doesn’t seem to be a shortage of very strong programmers in the Reason community, so maybe we won’t have a shortage of useful PPXes :slight_smile:

Typically the recommendation is that PPXs are a ‘last resort’, try everything else before you try them. For example, we already have powerful string interpolation available in OCaml/Reason, from the Printf module. It’s worth a look.

Hey, I didn’t know about Prinf, thanks!