Discussion: turn on -strict-sequence by default

OCaml is a curried language, for beginners (even for advanced users), it is easy to have a curried function only partially applied (in refactoring for example).

To avoid such confusions, we plan to enable this by default, if there is a strong demand, we can
add a flag -bs-no-strict-sequence so that it can be explicitly turned off.

Community feedback is very welcome, thanks!

Hi Bob, what will be turned on by default?

-strict-sequence (link)

This sounds like an improvement to me. I personally don’t think there’s the need for a flag to disable it. Getting BuckleScript out of yet another legacy mode sounds amazing.

Oh–so e.g., this will be an error instead of just a warning 10:

let x = {
  1;
  2;
};

Sounds good to me! :slight_smile:

Actually I’m confused why there’s even a -strict-sequence and a separate warning 10 which do the same thing :thinking: I guess a little vestigial OCaml legacy.

Definitely feels like an improvement, what would be the reasons to disable this?

Agreed, I see no reason to keep this even as an option.

the only concern is that it may make some code not compile due to more strict check

Not exactly true.

I read this message carefully, what’s your opinion on this?
We used to have safe-string enabled, which falls the same category

I tend to believe that it is not a blocker. But I am definitely not a compiler expert.

the examples from this thread that have different behaviors whether the flag is enabled or not look a bit sketchy to me but I’m by no mean an expert on the topic. That would probably break a few packages, but a significant part of these cases would probably be bugs anyway so that’d be good in the long term. Since we’re still a very young community and our packages move a lot, I guess it would be doable. If we want to be more cautious we could try to compile the packages from the Redex with this flag enabled.

Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated!
FYI: we will delay this change after 7.0.2. To make user impact minimal, we will turn it on in warn-error style instead of passing this flag in the future.
It is recommended to have -warn-error +10 now to make your code future-proof