Do I need to know React before using React Router?

I’ve got experience with Elm and Ember but never used React. To start using React with Reason, is it advisable that I first do React tutorials?

My concern is that I want to jump straight into Reason and learning React is going to ruin my momentum.

Hey, do you mean knowing React before ReasonReact ? Because once you learn React, you’re already know how to use ReactRouter >= 4.x

I’ve never used React before. Guess I should first do some basic tutorials.

React’s doc is a good place to start reactjs.org

But still, I’m not sure why do you ask this question here. Unless you’re interesting ReasonReact

The ReasonReact documentation is prefaced with “The documentation assumes relative familiarity with ReactJS.” Therefore, It may be good to first get understanding of how the React library works. I agree with @thangngoc89, the React docs are a great place to start. The reactJS docs are really well written, and I would recommend going through that before hitting ReasonReact.

Besides the general “How to use React” guides I think React Components, Elements, and Instances is fundamentally necessary to clarify what a React component actually is (or can be) - to the point that it may be worth re-reading once you’ve gained more React experience.

It’s all too easy to get waylaid by some preconceived notion of what a UI component should be (or even too strongly associating React elements with “markup elements” due to the nature of the JSX notation).

I’m completely agree with this. When I learnt React, I had a hard time understanding what is the different between components, elements and instances. But also note that, in ReasonReact, there aren’t instances. There are only ReasonReact.reactElement and ReasonReact.reactClass

Really? I haven’t consciously realized this but Instance Variables pretty much implies that the state record has replaced the component instance. I prefer this model - to me this.props and this.state initially conveyed a false sense of (instance) ownership over values that are actually managed from “outside” of the user code.

I worked through the official ReactJS tutorial followed by Jared’s ReasonReact tutorial and feel more or less comfortable with both of them now.