File naming convention in ReasonML

I’m wondering if there are already set naming conventions for file naming in ReasonML. Coming from React/JS ecosystem I’m used to naming the files that are components as PascalCase, MyComponent.js, but I often see in the Reason code bases lowercase names app.re, but then would I name my component in this way: mycomponent.re or my_component.re, etc.?

Hmm. This is really your choice. Because a file is mapped directly to a module. I usually named the file the same as module name

mycomponent.re => Mycomponent
my_component.re => My_Component

app.re is the old convention. App.re is the current one.

I’ve been using capitalized files, so MyComponent.re => MyComponent. I see no downsides to it other than the emotional reaction “ewww capitalized file names!” but once you get over that your teammates really appreciate the easy mapping :wink:

In addition to capitalizing filenames to match their module names I’ve also acquired the habit of lowercasing the names of files I don’t use as modules, the entry points. Which is typically only one file, but sometimes I have a bunch of scripts, for example. Like redex-scripts, where I also use snake_case, because I sure as hell ain’t going to have a bunch of PascalCased or camelCased scripts! But anyway, having them lowercased makes it really easy to spot the entry point(s) :slight_smile:

Here are the general guidelines: https://reasonml.github.io/docs/en/project-structure.html#file-casing

Btw the docs site’s search uses Algolia, so you can search either file or case or whatever and it should return the relevant results.

Can filenames contain additional dots in the name? For example MyComponent.react.re? What module name would it map to?

They can’t currently