Having trouble using third party modules/packages

bsb

I installed a third party module: https://github.com/scull7/bs-validation

This one works and I added it to “bs-dependencies” despite instructions saying to add to “dependencies”.

However when using this module it doesn’t seem to detect or load it: https://github.com/scull7/bs-result

I keep getting the error “Unbound module Result” whereas the Validation module works fine.

Can you paste your bsconfig.json file here? Also the full error output from running npx bsb on the command line in the project root directory?

Which version of bsb are you using? Result should be shipped by default

Here is my bsconfig. Then I run “yarn add bs-result”

{
  "name": "project",
  "version": "0.1.0",
  "sources": {
    "dir": "src",
    "subdirs": true
  },
  "package-specs": {
    "module": "es6-global",
    "in-source": true
  },
  "suffix": ".bs.js",
  "bs-dependencies": ["bs-result"],
  "warnings": {
    "error": "+101"
  },
  "namespace": true,
  "refmt": 3,
  "gentypeconfig": {
    "language": "typescript",
    "shims": {},
    "debug": {
      "all": false,
      "basic": false
    }
  }
}

Version

> yarn bsb -v

If I move the node_modules/bs-result/src folder to my project root then it detects the module and works.

[3/3] Building src/modules/message/Message-Bidcore.cmj
FAILED: src/modules/message/Message-Bidcore.cmj src/modules/message/Message-Bidcore.cmi /.../src/modules/message/Message.bs.js 
/.../node_modules/bs-platform/darwin/bsc.exe -bs-package-name bidcore -bs-ns Bidcore  -bs-package-output es6-global:src/modules/message -bs-suffix -I ... truncated ... -I src/modules -I src -warn-error +101  -bs-gentype /.../node_modules/gentype/gentype.exe -o src/modules/message/Message-Bidcore.cmj src/modules/message/Message.reast

We've found a bug for you!
  /.../src/modules/message/Message.re 51:15-26

49 ┆   let fFailure = errs => F.concat(errs, msgs);
  50 ┆   /* result |> Result.bimap(fSuccess, fFailure); */
  51 ┆   result |> Result.bimap(fSuccess, fFailure);
  52 ┆ };
  53 ┆ 

The module or file Result can't be found.
  - If it's a third-party dependency:
    - Did you list it in bsconfig.json?
    - Did you run `bsb` instead of `bsb -make-world`
      (latter builds third-parties)?
  - Did you include the file's directory in bsconfig.json?

It looks like that package hasn’t been updated in a while – it may not be compatible with the latest version of bs-platform

As the error says, did you run bsb -make-world after installing the third party dependency? I find I need to run make world after every yarn invocation, it wipes out files it doesn’t know about (particularly the compiled .bs.js files).

I was able to compile bs-result on an older project I added it to as an easy test case, but when I upgraded to 8.2.0 it fails due to this configuration setting:

"bsc-flags": [ "-bs-super-errors", "-bs-sort-imports" ],

That fails to compile with unknown option: '-bs-sort-imports'. You might be able to PR a fix, but given the age of the repository you may have to fork it instead. If you’re looking for monadic ReasonML helpers perhaps try relude?

Yes my default command is “bsb -make-world”. It is the one giving the error that Result.bimap cannot be found.

Relude looks like what I need, although I got bs-result to work just by copying over the two files from bs-result out of node_modules and into my project.