Jest testing with ReasonML & Create-React-App

reasonreact

I recently converted a create-react-app project to ReasonReact, and testing is the one part that I can’t seem to get right. CRA’s Jest configuration doesn’t play nicely with Reason, and I keep running against walls when I try to roll my own Jest config.

CRA’s Jest seems to have problems with (at least) two Reason conventions in particular: 1) keeping your __tests__ directory outside of your src directory, and 2) applying Babel transforms to Bucklescript libraries in node_modules (I’m using ES6).

There may be other issues too, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten at this point.

I’m sure I can’t be the only person who’s had to deal with this. Is this a solved problem? How have other people handled it?

I would rather not eject if I can help it. I’m very happy with the CRA Webpack setup, and I don’t want to have to maintain it myself. I wonder if using something like react-app-rewired is what I need. I’ve never had to configure Jest myself until now, so I’m not sure what I should be looking for.

FWIW, I have tests colocated. Here’s my whole Jest config:

module.exports = {
  clearMocks: true,

// If we need something more sophisticated (or simpler to understand)
  // there’s a regexp version of this option, somewhere
  testMatch: [
    "**/__tests__/**/*.[jt]s?(x)",
    "**/*_test.bs.js"
  ],
};

Don’t know if its gonna bite me yet, but at least the tests themselves don’t seem to get bundled. So that whole keeping __tests__ outside of src doesn’t seem like such a strict requirement.

But yeah, I did eject CRA.

@johnridesabike I’m running reason-react@0.7.0 with un-ejected create-react-app@3.0.1, so it is possible. I’m assuming you’re using https://github.com/glennsl/bs-jest as well. What you need to do is:

1. Point to your tests in sources in bsconfig.json:
{
  "sources": [
    // snipped...
    {
      "dir": "src/__tests__",
      "subdirs": true,
      "type": "dev"
    }
}
  1. Place your tests in src/__tests__/ with a _test.re suffix, for example: src/__tests__/components/Component_test.re

2. Compile Reason to JS: yarn run bsb -make-world
    At this point your test should be compiled to JavaScript in src/__tests__/components/Componente_test.bs.js

3. Run jest with --transformIgnorePatterns flag:

yarn run test --transformIgnorePatterns "node_modules/(?!(bs-platform|reason-react|@glennsl\/bs-jest)/)"

This should help with jest not being able to compile libraries with babel. See my answer to Problem with bsconfig.json when running tests for more information.

Thanks for the help guys. @pewniak747, I think that was the exact advice I needed. It seems to be working fine now!

A couple of comments from having just set it up:

• Adding __tests__ to src seemed to make the bsb compiler break at first. It said that each test module was there twice. I think it was because bsb was seeing them once as a “regular” source and once as a dev source. I changed my subdirs property for my regular source to only include the (single) subdir I used, instead of true, and that fixed it.
  • My test command ended up being much longer. I had to add the following to the regex: |bs-jest-dom|re-classnames|bs-css|bs-webapi|bs-react-testing-library|bs-dom-testing-library I guess that’s not necessarily a problem, but not elegant (I guess I could whitelist everything that starts with bs- or re-.)

I’m just glad it’s working, though! I can finally go back to checking my test terminal instead of clicking around the dev server to see if I broke anything.

I’ll post an update if I learn any new tips and tricks. Having this process more streamlined is definitely on my ReasonML wish-list :slight_smile:

There is also Rely (https://reason-native.com/docs/rely/) from the Reason Native website (https://reason-native.com/) which exposes a Jest-like interface for testing in pure Reason rather than testing on the generated JS.

Looks sweet, but can it be used with BuckleScript?

Seems to be for native only, not for the JS side.

As of CRA 3.1.0, you can now extend more Jest configuration fields without using the CLI!

I took the ignore pattern out of the test command and put it in my package.json like this:

{
  "jest": {
    "transformIgnorePatterns": [
      "node_modules/(?!(reason-[a-z\\-]+|@[a-z\\-]+/bs-[a-z\\-]+|re-classnames|bs-[a-z\\-]+)/)"
    ]
  }
}

Also: after I upgraded to CRA 3.1, I wasn’t able to test at first because my Jest version was outdated, and CRA required a higher version. I’m guessing bs-jest or something else was using an old version? I manually installed the latest and that seemed to fix it, at least for now.