jsConverter: Handling undefined in JS Object

I’m using reason-apollo to fetch data from my GraphQL server. Sometimes I don’t want to fetch everything, so I only query a few fields, for instance:

projects {
  id
  name
}

The issue comes when I try to convert this query to a record. Say I’m using the following record:

[@bs.deriving jsConverter]
type project = {
  id: int,
  name: string,
  color: option(string)
}

This gives an error, because the jsConverter expects: array({.. "color": option(string), "id": int, "name": string}). Is there a way to have jsConverter ignore fields that are wrapped in option?

Thanks,
Nicholas

Sadly there are no way to get around this issues. I can second that I bump into this situation frequently when using GraphQL. Even though GraphQL responses is typed, it’s built with dynamic languages in mind. You can’t make a uniform type (let’s say project) and reuse it across your codebase while only querying the needed information

I’ve run into this issue as well and opted to leave GraphQL data access as Js.t and access using ##.

Instead of converting to data to records pre-emptively when the data enters the system, I’d pass the Js.t around and convert to a record with right shape right before my UI needs to use the data (generally happens at a component’s prop contract).

Yeah, I might just keep a bunch of redundant records around. Maybe I’ll look into opening a PR about this. Missing serde from Rust lol