Redux middleware in a Reason world

reasonreact

I’m pondering introducing Reason to a React/Redux project or two, and am very curious about the Redux middleware story. I take it that Reason doesn’t support generators, so Redux-saga is out of the question, and, anyway, maybe something along the lines of Redux-cycles is a better functional approach?

And if not Redux, then what? Does anyone have a story of successfully handling a reasonably large state in a ReasonReact app?

@hoichi wondering the same, any idea?

IDK, still pondering. Maybe I should just go ahead and experiment, but a) I’m somewhat strapped for time these days and b) a small experiment won’t tell how well does this thing scale and how it all composes. Maybe fetches inside hooks actually compose better (and prop drilling is not such a big problem in ReasonReact).

I find it slightly weird that neither Resorative nor React-Reductive adress data fetching. All the more weird since the React team is actively busy with Suspence for data fetching, thus admitting that it’s a use case almost every React dev cares about. But maybe Suspence will change everything, including global state solutions.

Incidentally, the only reducer-based thing I’ve met that does address data fetching somewhat is reason-react-update that recreates the old class-based API via a hook. Not sure yet if I like it (again, I need to see how it works at a scale, and my dayjob has nothing to do with Reason (yet)), but it does resemble the Elm architecture, where reducers can return effects as well.

Did you discover anything of note during your experimentation?

I didn’t experiment much, so no ) Right now my time is divided between TypeScript (at my dayjob) and Elm (pet).