Removing a field from an object (structural typing)

I’m finding myself doing a lot of work with Js.t('a) right now as I write my GraphQL server that interacts with Postgres on the back-end. It’s neat-o that Js.Obj.assign({"foo": 1}, {"bar": 2}) will return a JS object that has the type {. "foo": int, "bar": int}. It can make unions of objects!

But sometimes I need to remove an attribute from a JS object. Is there any way in the OCaml object type system to remove a field from an object? Or, I guess, if we’re talking about row polymorphism here, a way to specify that a row has been removed from a row-parameterized type?

That’d make my day.

A little follow-up. @jaredly did some experimentation and found that Js.Object.assign doesn’t actually do a union of fields, it basically just disables type checking on those fields all together. So beware!

(hence the type signature returning {..})

Does that mean there is no structural typing? (Asking because of the conversations on the latest podcast)

No! There’s certainly still structural typing, but it doesn’t appear that Js.Object.assign will take the union of two structures. Rather I think it just returns a structure that has “any shape”.