Stumped on binding to Javascript superclasses

I’m attempting to write a binding for BaseButton here:

https://kmagiera.github.io/react-native-gesture-handler/docs/component-buttons.html

The API as written expects users to extend it using

class XButton extends BaseButton { ... }

I’m struggling to understand how a binding to BaseButton should look so that it’s possible to build new Buttons in Reason.

Anyone have any pointers, thoughts, or examples?

I found this answer from back in 2017.

Is this still the best way to go?

I hope using [%%bs.raw] is not the recommendation still! Great question, because there is a lot of ES6 Classes code getting created all the time.

I am wondering if your dev environment has Babel? If so, then class XButton extends BaseButton is going to get transpiled down to something like just a chain of function calls. This would be a lot more suitable for binding your ReasonML code onto.

var XButton =
/*#__PURE__*/
function (_Basebutton) {
  _inherits(XButton, _Basebutton);

function XButton() {
    _classCallCheck(this, XButton);

return _possibleConstructorReturn(this, _getPrototypeOf(XButton).apply(this, arguments));
  }

return XButton;
}(Basebutton);

;

Oh, that’s certainly an interesting way to go about it.

Currently, I’m working on a React Native app so I guess it’s Metro bundler which uses babel under the hood.

I do wonder whether or not there’s anything to watch out for if I choose to go down the path of binding onto the transpiled resulting code?

Here’s the previous discussion on this Extending a JavaScript class

Thanks for linking. let’s move the conversation over there.

Even though supporting class inheritance is crappy, there is a lot to be gained from providing a standardized route by which to bind to javascript APIs that expect developers to extend classes.

Writing bindings on a class based inheritance API shouldn’t be this painful – and I’m sure could end up being one of the reasons state within teams/companies for why it’s not worth using ReasonML over Typescript or similar.

The OO part of Bucklescript wasn’t focused on. The output is large and ugly, OCaml does have object inheritance so probably this is only a matter of priority. Bucklescript is a 2 man team not every features of Javascript will be added